Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Dial 911 for Emergencies

The one in which Z interviews A about calling 911

Zara: Recently, I encouraged you to call 911 to report suspicious activity related to a bag of trash that was dropped off near your apartment by some maniac who drove off after the dump. Can you please expand on the details of the incident, your investigation, the phone call, and the aftermath?

Andrea: A couple weeks ago I watched from my bedroom window as a man drove around the corner with a black trash bag on the hood of his car. He stopped the car, got out and deposited the trash bag on the corner. I didn't think much about it until a few days later when a whole troop of Russian spies were identified and arrested. It became immediately clear to me that whatever was in that bag was probably suspect evidence. I made my friend Morgan rip open the bag and peer in while I watched from several feet away. She first said it was a carpet, then changed her mind and said linoleum. She couldn't see it, but I'm sure the linoleum was covered in blood. The next day I called 911 to report it. As far as I know the bag is still there.

Zara: Have you ever called 911 before? I have called many times to report crimes and personal annoyances such as: loud parties, finding a dead body, and most recently when I witnessed two cases of suspected rabid animal activity. Sometimes, I feel like Angela Lansbury’s iconic character, Jessica Fletcher. Do you think that I am actually surrounded by crime or are you of the school of thought that I am paranoid and apt to make mountains out of molehills?

Andrea: Mostly I call 911 to report on men who drop trou and show their penises. No one likes to see that. The most recent time was on the T and I said, "nuh uh. Pull your pants up!" And I alerted the nearest authority. Another time was on Nahant beach and another time was at the airport and another time was on Comm. Ave.

You are beautiful, smart and blonde-- an attractant to all manner of crime. How was it that there were so many murders in Cabot Cove? I think you need a cute bike with a basket to increase your territory. Tell more about the dead body!! I walk to work along the muddy river and pass by several homeless people daily. I dread the day I find one of the homeless people dead in that river.

Zara (follow-up): Yuck, somehow I never see that type of indecent exposure. Once I saw a pseudo-homeless man with his pants pulled down humping one of those green storage containers used to store salt at the Chestnut Hill T-stop, but I just kept moving.

In terms of the dead body, it was surreal. Many years ago, I woke up early one morning and had the bright idea of picking up my dry cleaning before going to work and as I walked down a Brighton side street something unusual entered my field of vision. First, I saw toes and feet and then legs lying on the ground, and my first thought was why would someone sunbathe near the sidewalk. Then, it registered, I was looking at a dead body. It was an elderly woman who had fallen from the balcony of her senior’s apartment complex. It was awful; she was in a nightgown and had fallen through trees. I ran to the dry cleaners, owned by Russians by the way, and called 911. Then I went back to wait near the body because I felt like I had to protect her until the cops showed up. It was sad.

Zara: I very much enjoy reporting crimes, naming names, and being a tattle-tale. I am known as the unofficial and self-proclaimed “neighborhood watchdog” in my apartment complex. Did the stigma associated with being a “snitch” influence your decision to make the call?

Andrea: It is well known that I am a law abiding citizen-- I have no traffic tickets, cross at cross walks and also am totally cavity free. Clearly reporting crimes is Important! If being a good citizen is being a snitch, then so be it!

No comments: