Monday, July 11, 2005

Bad Habits

With G away, I've noticed myself returning to my single-girl-lacking-responsibility self. Perhaps it's not bad habits so much as indulging guilty pleasures (akin to spending a week at Grandma's growing up in the summer). I've been staying up late reading and watching movies (G is an early to bed, early to riser, so we finish movies together only about half the time). I've forgone many a healthy dinner in favor of the easier and carb satisfying cheese and crackers dinner (in bed, no less). Yesterday I enjoyed Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee and not one, but two (!) donuts on my outside deck. I've been laying in bed in my pajamas until well past 11 on the weekend days.

Finally, I've been shopping...the always enjoyable pastime which is like a drug. I pride myself on my bargain shopping (the $20 rule has fallen by the wayside in recent times, but I've managed to resurrect it with the onslaught of Summer Sale! and free time). When Saturday looked like it wouldn't be a beach day after all, I improvised and went to Downtown Crossing. I was armed with a gift card to Filene's and hope to make short shrift of the $25 balance. Alas, I failed. The shirt I picked out for $35 rung up at just $19...it looks like another trip will need to be made to polish off that $5+. I forewent the Basement and H&M in favor of the less frequented TJ Maxx. A friend's recent purchase of several swimsuits for under $10 piqued my curiosity. There were slim pickings in the swimware department, but the skirts were cute and all under $20...and the four I tried on all fit. I closed my eyes and picked the one which would be mine. I also wasted no time in scouring the shoe rejects on the floor for a pair of cute wedge heels, size 7. Thoroughly warmed up with my keen eye on the lookout, I bought lunch (hot dog and Coke) and resumed my mission: birthday gifts for sister (unmentionable pending actual birthday next week). The five hour afternoon kept me entertained, provided an outfit for going out that night, and really, hardly made a dent in my checking account. In fact, it was perhaps not so much a guilty pleasure as a necessity!

No comments: