Wednesday, July 06, 2005

This is Molly's and Nancy's Fourth of July Parade Story

Another guest post, since the editors here are busy keeping busy. This tale is told alternately from my mom's (Nancy) and her dog's (Molly) perspective.

We wanted to have a great Fourth of July weekend. Molly was surrounded
by new people-she had gotten use to Grandma, but then here came Ginny
and Bob from Chicago and she was excluded from all fun outings and
didn't even get her customary walk on Friday or Saturday-because of the
cleaning frenzy that was taking place. When Ginny and Bob came to the
house, they just ate lunch then everyone left--and left her in her
"room." They did return home, but immediately stated fixing and eating
dinner-hardly any playtime.
Sunday was not much better from Molly's perspective--first left while
everyone goes sightseeing-but at least got left on the deck/den on a
beautiful day. Then, Marvin, Grandma and Nancy return home, but say
they need a rest (at least Nancy does, so no walk for me). Then more
dinner preparation for Julie and Susan coming over. Julie and Susan
played a little Frisbee (Molly got two new ones, both pink), but mostly
just talk and eating.
Monday, finally a dog day. First thing, up and out to the dog part-at
last some wonderful one on one with Nancy and lots of new friends and a
couple of trips to the river! It was heaven! Sometime after getting
home, though, Nancy thought she'd just take me to walk in the Bothell
Fourth of July parade with her to support the County Council candidate.
Well, we situated Grandma in a very low chair on the parade route and
then we walked up a hill (Molly getting pets along the way) to wait for
the little kids part to finish. We did get to go a short way down main
street, and I was doing ok, until those dressed up reenactors starting
shooting their muskets right behind us; I was really scared and just
wanted to leave. Nancy handed her sign back to Jeff because I was just
going way too fast; I was frantic; I wanted to get out of that parade
and away from those loud noises and I was hot!
I thought we'd never get back to the car! After we got Grandma into the
car, we were finally able to turn on the air-conditioning and go home.
Luckily, Nancy knew enough to let the hose run on me in the front yard.

And last night--even more firecrackers---way too much Fourth of July for
me!

No comments: